Saturday, January 22, 2011

Kids Craft: Yarn Hearts




I got this idea from Family Fun Magazine (Feb.2011 page 24)


You'll need:
A heart cookie cutter
Yarn cut into 6-8 inch strips
Mixture of flour and water in a bowl


(Family Fun used a different glue concoction using 1/4 C. cornstarch and 1/2 C. water in a saucepan until smooth and then thick and translucent. Use after cooled)



 Put wet yarn into a cookie cutter (I only had a small heart)



 Press yarn down


And press down some more
 (I couldn't pick which picture of my daughters pudgy fingers to use, so I used them both)


And then....




Whalla!
My daughter LOVED this craft.  She made 4 hearts.

We left them outside to dry and over two days they were dry (they were thick and saturated)



I'm not sure where to put them yet, for now I put them on our wreath



Two discoveries:

1) If you do the flour/water mixture, the fluffy yarn holds together better.
If you only have regular yarn, give the cornstarch mixture a try.

2) A larger cookie cutter will allow you to make thinner hearts that will dry faster.


I am linking up with Blog Parties HERE

1 comment:

  1. Isn't Family Fun Magazine the best?!? I love those pudgey little fingers!
    smiles!
    Jami

    ReplyDelete