Tuesday, March 29, 2011

April Fools Foods


This was my dinner trick for last years April Fools Day Dinner. 

 I made:

 Sushi using rice crispy treats wrapped with fruit by the foot and gummy candy centers

To do: Make rice crispies treats.  Lay a rectangle of wax paper on the counter and put some warm treats on it.  Wet your fingers and flatten them out in about a 4 inch wide strip.  Put gummy candies in a row down the middle (red and green). Use the wax paper to roll them into a cylinder.  Put into the fridge to cool.  Take out and cut into sushi size disks and wrap with green fruit by the foot (or fruit roll ups cut into strips).


Meatloaf in a muffin pan and mashed potatoes


To make a muffin.  The juice glass is filled with orange jello.  If you do the jello drink, have a video camera handy, because it is the funniest thing when your kids keep putting the glass higher and higher. 

My kids talked about this meal all year. 

I had to come up with something new this year (of course).

Luckily I came across this "candy in a fruit can" tutorial that Laura over at Come Together Kids did.  My kids will have this in their packed lunch.  I will have to add cookies or something else that is school appropriate.  But I thought this was a great idea that I think they will talk about all year! Plus they won't be expecting a trick in their school lunch (:

 Thanks Laura for the inspiration!


No comments:

Post a Comment