Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Vintage Headboard to Coat Rack

I have been shopping these few weeks and found lots of great items to refinish.  I am excited about this piece inparticular, because I think that it came out beautifully!

 I picked up this old vintaage twin headboard at an Antique Mart for a steal! The headboard is actually very small compared to my daughters headboard and therefore, could never be used as a headboard with a standard twin frame and mattress.  I had other plans for it anyway....a Coat Rack!  Initially I was going to keep the stain the same, because I loved it so much with the patina of old age, but unfortunately it wasn't working with my decor, it was a little too yellow. 

I sanded it down and put on some primer and then painted it black (Valspar black, premixed, off the shelf). After it was painted, I used Minwax Finishing Wax for the protective top coat.  I love this stuff!  Anyway, without furthur ado, here is the final coat rack on my entry wall:


I will of course have to fill in the empty spaces around the coat rack (bench, pics, etc...) so this is all you get to view of that area, more to come...


Don't you just LOVE the vintage hardware? I made sure not to paint over that! It has this cool green patina inside.


Here, I did a little sanding to make it look as though it has been through years of coat hanging. 

As I was completing the Coat Rack today, I started priming this piece:




Stay tuned for it's after pictures in my kitchen

Thanks for Stopping by!
Linking up with these parties:

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment